Ooof .I completely spaced out the line in line out connections .yeah ..that
is a show stopper

73

Steve KL7SB

From: elecraft...@yahoogroups.com [mailto:elecraft...@yahoogroups.com] On
Behalf Of Joe Subich, W4TV
Sent: Thursday, March 27, 2014 7:28 PM
To: elecraft...@yahoogroups.com; 'Elecraft Reflector'
Subject: Re: [Elecraft_K3] SO2R thoughts

> 2) Kenwood TS590 ...Upside: Biggest bang for the buck (IMO) contest
> capable xcvr, Good audio ..Downside: Looks like it has a weird audio
> codec (meaning not the standard Kenwood). I see that N1MM works with
> it ...but I wonder about other software plus the MK2R+.

With MK2R+ you ignore the internal CODEC and the USB connection - use
RS-232 for CAT and the normal ACC/Mic jacks for audio connections. The
overall issue with Kenwood is that it does not have a separate "mode"
for AFSK/PSK31 - you need to rely on the "digital band map" in microHAM
Router to distinguish between phone and digital. Sometimes that can be
a bit of an issue - e.g. 40 meters.

> 3) KX3+KXPA100(+existing KAT/KPA500) ..Upside: The KX3 really
> intrigues me.

The KX3 is most certainly *not* a contest radio. Since it lacks FSK,
and dedicated line out/line in connections, microHAM does not support
the KX3 (or any other radio that lacks one or more required connections
like a serial CAT port, or separate analog line out, and analog line
in).

If it were me, the choice would be between the K3 and TS-590 ... and I
would lean toward the K3 due to the availability of P3 and KRX3.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 3/27/2014 10:25 PM, Stephen Bloom wrote:
> Hey all:
>
> I've been the owner of a K3, KAT500, and KPA500, and a Microham MK2R+ for
> about 9 months now. Love em all. The one additional thing I wanted was a
> Legal Limit amp (I'm a fairly active contester). Bought an Expert 2K-FA
and
> just put that online. So far so good. The one clear downside to the 2K-FA
> is ...that it is loud (actually quieter than most High Power amps but
still
> loud).
>
> With that said ...and given the fact that the Expert Amp SO2R isn't really
> SO2R (second antenna is rx only) ...I'm going to pair a second rig with
the
> KPA500 and use it as a backup contest rig and as main for non contest Qs
> where I don't need the extra 3DB. Right now the second rig is a Kenwood
> TS2000 ...which isn't really a contest or DX quality transceiver. The
three
> options I'm mulling over are ..
>
> 1) another K3 ...Upside: SO2R is most intuitive with identical xcvrs,
> plays well with KPA500/KAT500, identical cabling ...Downside: Expensive,
> It's more fun to have different rigs to play with, and like others, I find
> the K3 can be kind of "harsh" to listen to for many hours.
>
> 2) Kenwood TS590 ...Upside: Biggest bang for the buck (IMO) contest
> capable xcvr, Good audio ..Downside: Looks like it has a weird audio codec
> (meaning not the standard Kenwood). I see that N1MM works with it ...but I
> wonder about other software plus the MK2R+.
>
> 3) KX3+KXPA100(+existing KAT/KPA500) ..Upside: The KX3 really intrigues
me.
> In a perfect world ...the Second Rig would be one I could easily take
> portable. The Sherwood reviews seem to indicate that the KX3 rcv
> performance is comparable to the K3, and I'm a real fan of Elecraft in
> general. Downside: Clearly there is no technical reason one couldn't chain
> all this together, but I wonder if anyone actually has done it, and if
there
> were any configuration issues
>

> Any input would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks and 73
> Steve KL7SB
>

> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo Groups Links

__._,_.___

7;_ylc=X3oDMTJyMmZ2cm80BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIwMTQ5NDI4BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwN
TA2MzEwOARtc2dJZAMyMDM2NwRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNycGx5BHN0aW1lAzEzOTU5NzczMTA-?act=
reply&messageNum=20367> Reply via web post

<mailto:li...@subich.com?subject=Re%3A%20%5BElecraft_K3%5D%20SO2R%20thoughts
> Reply to sender

<mailto:elecraft...@yahoogroups.com?subject=Re%3A%20%5BElecraft_K3%5D%20SO2R
%20thoughts> Reply to group

=X3oDMTJmbDRxbGJiBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIwMTQ5NDI4BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzE
wOARzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNudHBjBHN0aW1lAzEzOTU5NzczMTA-> Start a New Topic

_ylc=X3oDMTM3NW9ldWdjBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIwMTQ5NDI4BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA
2MzEwOARtc2dJZAMyMDM2NwRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawN2dHBjBHN0aW1lAzEzOTU5NzczMTAEdHBjSWQ
DMjAzNjM-> Messages in this topic (4)

F9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIwMTQ5NDI4BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARzZWMDdnRsBHNsa
wN2Z2hwBHN0aW1lAzEzOTU5NzczMTA-> Visit Your Group

.
RkYXBvBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIwMTQ5NDI4BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARzZWMDdn
RsBHNsawN2bWJycwRzdGltZQMxMzk1OTc3MzEw> New Members 5

zIwMTQ5NDI4BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNnZnAEc3RpbWUDMTM5NTk3N
zMxMA--> Yahoo! Groups

.  <https://info.yahoo.com/privacy/us/yahoo/groups/details.html> Privacy .
Use

.