Which Linux?

I have Ubuntu on my laptop but when it comes to the question of which Linux it
is usually a question of which desktop U/I is your favorite.  As for me, I
don't like any of the Linux desktops and I primarily use Linux using a terminal
window and vi as the editor.  Major development work I still do on my Mac and
merely move it to the Linux system if that is where it is to be executed.  None
of my stuff uses a graphic U/I on Linux.  It is all under the covers system
oriented stuff and primarily for play, not real stuff, or now-and-then, doing
work related to my former company and its software that runs on Linux.

Besides, I am liking RPi a lot more and I know what you mean by real estate.
Merely having the monitor on the desk top is a hassle so I don't do that.
Instead I network into the RPi and use SSH and this gets rid of the keyboard,
the mouse, and the display since I am doing this from the iMac or my Macbook
Pro.  The RPi is running all the time (or, most of the time) with a short
little CAT5 cable into my WiFi router Ethernet port (so it is on the same
subnet as wireless in the house).

I almost never use the desktop U/I with RPi but some day when I get around to
it I am thinking of experimenting with client X-Window U/I running on my Mac
and served from RPi (of course, the X-Window system reverses the common notion
of client/server).

Performance on RPi -- well, I bet your HP Win8.1 is a speed demon in comparison
to RPi but RPi is not bad if you are NOT running the X Window system and the
desktop.

73, phil, K7PEH