Bill,
The whole idea of Linux came from a passion to develop free software, based on
need and not necessarily mass demand - most hams, and certainly Elecraft nuts
like we are, fit into that category (i.e. we need stuff that the masses don't).
 Hence the GNU ("GNU is Not Unix") project, which by the way was developed in
the 80's by some real smart folks at MIT who just produced free Unix apps and
utilities - a guy in Finland put it all together and created the Linux kernel
we all use today.  Note too that Microsoft and OSX use many GNU
applications/utilities, and that the Android and Chrome OS are both Linux
distro's with proprietary add-ins.

If you want FSK support, then I suggest you go to the Linuxham group and pose
the question - I am sure with all the Linux developers out there that are also
ham radio enthusiasts, someone has either done it or will be willing to help.

Paul
AF5BV