Is something connected to the Mic jack on your KX3? Could it be applying a
voltage to the PTT line, even if only in a transient manner? Applying a voltage
8-12V for 100ms will cause the KX3 to turn on.

As for the mode it comes back up in, this will probsbly depend on what mode it
was in the last time you shut it down cleanly. If you remove the power without
shutting down the radio properly, it will not properly save its state at the
time the power was removed unclearly.

73,
Matt VK2RQ