Alan makes some good points. There is nothing wrong with that. They are not
wrong but I offer another viewpoint. I think Elecraft is always going to error
on the side of safety and assume the builder is going to do the wrong thing,
therefore safety to the max.

Nevertheless there are good habits that should be learned and they will protect
you when you forget to wear the wrist strap.

As a consultant I have done ESD audits of factories. If they know the audit is
coming all the wrist straps are in place. Surprise audits are another thing. I
find the straps and footwear to be rarely used. How can they get away with
that? The answer is they have good work habits that avoid ESD problems rather
than bleeding off static build up. Here are a few everyday hints the pros use.

1.      Wear cotton! Avoid wearing wool, silk, or synthetics when dealing with
electronics.
2.      Upon entering your work area touch some heavy metal to bleed off any
body charge. Always touch the chassis before touching PCBs within the chassis.
3.      Always handle a PCB by the edges and never by the circuit or connector.
4.      Keep the humidity above 30%. If necessary use a plant mister to spray
your work area.
5.      Plastic is OK for hardware storage but use metal, such as muffin tins,
for electronic parts. If you must use those polystyrene parts bin for
semiconductors, line the bins with aluminum foil.
6.      Keep the parts in their original shipping containers until you are
ready to install them. Think pink! Pink bags are one type antistatic material.
The silvery looking bags are another. Both work great.
7.      Do not pre-stage your parts by placing them in foam plastic of some
kind.
8.      Avoid polystyrene foam like the plague. Even a polystyrene cup with
coffee in it can hold a 5000 volt charge on the outside. Picking that cup up
can transfer that charge to your body without feeling a thing.
73
Fred, AE6QL