A bad anti-static mat may relate more to the sick cat than the dead cat. When you pull on the tail of the sick cat you may get a weak mew that may eventually go silent, returning this thread back to radio through reference to an old wireless metaphor.

YMMD

Richard Hill

On 4/6/2014 10:16 PM, Fred Townsend wrote:
Alan if you call the fire department about a cat up a tree they will ask if you
have ever seen a dead cat in a tree inferring that the cat will find its own
way down from the tree without help.

If the resistance and maintenance of the mat are so critical don't you think we
would reports of dead mats by now?
73
Fred, AE6QL

-----Original Message-----
From: Fred Townsend <fptowns...@earthlink.net>
Sent: Apr 6, 2014 9:24 PM
To: Sam Morgan <k5oai....@gmail.com>, elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Anti Static Mats

I was once asked if the mats on my assembly line were antistatic. I thought
they were but I wasn’t sure since I didn’t buy them. The mats took a beating
and only lasted a year or two. Some were new and some were in tatters. I
flipped over a new mat. It clearly said antistatic but the older mats didn’t
have any labels and they looked different. I took an ohmmeter, stabbing the
probes in about an inch apart. No reading. No reading for the new mats or the
antistatic bags we used by the thousands. After rubbing with fur, a
triboelectric meter (a meter used for measuring static charge) was used on the
mats and bags without measuring a charge.

My conclusion was surfaces could be antistatic without measuring any
resistance. Same for bags. If you have one from your Elecraft kit, try
measuring it with an ohmmeter.
73
Fred, AE6QL