"The easiest radio to repair is one that has had a small fire in one corner of the chassis."
    Tom, W6AHY (SK)

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2014 Cal QSO Party 4-5 Oct 2014
- www.cqp.org

PS:  Tom had no eyesight

On 4/7/2014 10:54 AM, Edward R Cole wrote:

A lesson taught me by a fellow bench tech who did not have a lot of tech
training was to initially open the unit and carefully look over the
circuit board for obvious burnt items!  Use your nose for burnt smell.
Touch to find "Hot" components (carefully). Look for black marks
indicating arcing.  I can't tell you how well that worked for him!