Hello all,

Many thanks to all that answered my many questions, and gave a new
person a hand in understanding a new rig.

I have decided to order a new rig based on what was said here, about a
30 minute conversations with a fellow named Dave at Elecraft, and that
eham gives it a 4.9 rating, which is hard to get there...  I tend to
take eham reviews with a grain of salt, but darned few radios get 4.9
there.

If I missed sending anyone a thank you note, please forgive me, the
number of answers I got was phenomenal, and I think I got everyone, but
is would have been easy to miss someone.  So thanks to all for your help
in this.  It made spending 5K almost fun...  Almost...  :)

Here is the final build as I will order it as soon as Dave from Elecraft
returns my MARS modification call.  I don't know if he gets commission,
but I want to be sure to order through the fellow that helped me there
at Elecraft.

Final Build:

Radio:
K3/100-F        K3 basic radio 100W version
KAT3-F          K3 ATU unit
KBPF3           K3 General coverage RX module for main radio
KRX3-F          K3 second rx
KBPF3           K3 General coverage RX module for sub radio.
                I am a MARS member, and want General coverage on both
KDVR3           Voice memory unit

Filters:
KFL3A-400       One for each radio, main and sub
KFL3B-FM        FM Filter for main radio
FILTER          Stock 2.7 KHz for both radios, main and sub

Misc:
P3-F            Panadapter
KXV3A           K3 RX Ant, IF Out & Xvertr Interface
KUSB            Factory USB cable.

Why two KBPF3's:
Someone had mentioned that I probably did not need the second KBPF3, and
for the most part that person was correct, but for my MARS operations...
I do some very odd splits sometimes, sometimes neither side being in the
ham bands, so the second RX was needed.

Filters:
During these entire process I had to tell myself these are roofing
filters-- remember, these are roofing filters-- these are not bandpass
filters these are not band pass filters...  Remember...

Many people pointed that out to me, and for that I am thankful, you all
saved me a few bucks...

I spoke to Dave at Elecraft, and he indicated that adding filters later
should not pose a major issue for me, based on my experience.  That
said, I can order filters later, and probably will, as I need them, or
discover I wish I had ordered them to start with.  Remember, these are
roofing filters...

I ordered the FM Filter as opposed to the AM filter, because it is a
roofing filter, and several folks suggested it as it lets me do AM and
FM, as opposed to if I ordered just the AM filter.  I would then need
the FM filter later, if I did FM.  This allows both modes with one
filter.

USB Cable:
I ordered the cable from Elecraft because I trust they have done testing
and clearance of this cable, and that it will work.  I am running Linux
as my major OS, and I can not say enough to thank the folks at Elecraft
for including the utility program for Linux users...

Panadapter :
I can't imagine a radio without an Panadapter anymore...  The thought is
abhorrent to me.

Again, many thanks to all for your help in this!!  I would feel as
confident I ordered correctly if it had not been for this mail list, and
the kind users on it.

--
Support better RFI practices, please sign this petition:
at Whitehouse.gov

http://wh.gov/lpz5Y