-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Don Wilhelm
Sent: Friday, December 02, 2005 10:34 AM
To: Bob Wehking; Elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: RE: [Elecraft] K2 Audio issue

Bob,

Your biggest problem is the 8 ohm impedance Icom speaker.  Most solid
state power amplifiers will deliver more power into a lower impedance
load - the
K2 audio power output spec is for 1 watt max into a 4 ohm load - when
the audio output amplifier tries to work into an 8 ohm load, the power
will be reduced substantially - likely only 1/4 watt will be available.

The other part of the equation is the Sound Pressure Level (SPL) of the
speaker - that varies from one speaker to another.  The SPL of the K2
internal speaker is higher than normal (in part as compensation for the
relatively low audio power available), and while I do not know the SPL
for your Icom speaker, I would wager that it is not as high as the K2
internal speaker, and therefore not as loud for the same driving power.

As stated many times by Wayne B., the K2 design criteria was for low
receive current consumption and that is one reason that the K2 has
limited audio power output.  The current consumed by a higher powered
audio stage could likely take more current than the rest of the
receiver.

Those of us who want loud audio in the shack would do well to consider
using an external audio amplifier - at least that is the solution for
me.

73,
Don W3FPR