On Saturday, April 12, 2014 11:51 AM, lane zeitler <lanenav...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Got the KX3 about a week ago. First contact was today, portable, I was sitting
next to the bay on a picnic table (salt water, here on the Navy base in
Yokosuka Japan) with a 17ft replacement tent pole I ordered on Amazon for $38
as my 20 to 10 mtr vertical. The new "vertical" is tie wrapped to a 3 ft high
chain link fence. Two 17 ft radials are laid out. 50 ohm coax as the feed,
about six feet long straight to the KX3. Built in auto tuner tunes it easily to
a 1:1 match on 20 to 10 meters. It will load on 40 but the final swr is high
and did not try 80 or 160 or even 6 mtrs yet. We will leave the area and return
back to the states in JUL so not going crazy with antennas here.....and all of
my operations here will be picnic portable until we leave.

Worked A35V on 12 meters ssb, I was xmitting 4 watts into the tent pole
vertical. Took a few calls but got him with my JA call of JH1JCM/QRP.

My Eneloop batteries were straight out of the packaging....had not even did a
charge yet but the KX3 indicated the voltage was 8.7 so I figured I would give
it a try. They worked.

There are a lot of menu driven options with this rig and overall I prefer a
simpler rig such as the Argo VI which I almost bought but hopefully over the
next few weeks of very casual operating I will get to know the knob functions
better. Impressed with the build quality and the display is awesome. The CMP
seems to have a major positive impact on SSB.

The SSB monitor sounds weird though....when I engage the SSB monitor circuit it
sounds like it is being processed digitally and has that "in the cave" dsp
sound to it....do not like the way the monitor sounds so I must be doing
something wrong.

Still slowly figuring this rig out. Eneloops are charging now off of my Astron
SS30. Expect to have full charge in 10 hours. Will see how long they last
before needing charging again.

Bought the optional paddle but have not hooked it up yet. More to follow.

LCDR Lane Zeitler
Forward Deployed
US Naval Hospital

Yokosuka Japan