Iain,

One of the first things to check is the connections to your power supply. Be certain they are all tight. Why? The K3 attempts to control and maintain the power output using a closed loop system. If the power supply voltage drops at the K3 terminals, the current must increase to maintain the same power level. Normally, that is good, but if the power cable or its connections are not capable of maintaining a good voltage level to the K3, the results will be as you indicated.

This is not the only possible cause of increased current draw, but it is the first thing to check.

73,
Don W3FPR