On 4/15/2014 6:33 AM, Julie Royster wrote:

QUESTION 1:  The KX3 has been using an inverted V wire antenna.  At its
closest point to a vertical antenna for our K3 they are about 30 feet apart.
Is this too close?

Probably. Conductors in the near field of an antenna essentially become part of the antenna, like parasitic elements an in a yagi, and can carry a major fraction of the power delivered to the antenna. 30 feet is 1/4 wave at 40 meters.

How far away would be far enough if K3 operator were
using 450 watts?

It depends on frequency and size of the antennae, and to some extent orientation of the two, however polarization in the near field isn't a huge factor. Several wavelengths is probably a good place to start.

QUESTION 2:  I just set the KX3 back up with KXPA100.  When Larry
transmitted at 5 watts all was OK but when he transmitted at 40 watts it
said "ANT ERR"  at the top of the screen and "PR FLT" at the bottom.
I checked the connections.  I checked the SWR of the antenna with a SWR
meter.  What do these messages mean (as they are not described in the
manual)?
Could these messages have to do with the KXPA100?

Don't know, don't have a KX3 or KXPA100.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2014 Cal QSO Party 4-5 Oct 2014
- www.cqp.org