I've played with a few decoders, Steve -- more out of interest than anything else. The one I've found most promising is in the NUE_PSK modem. See http://www.nue-psk.com/cw/index.html#Receive_ and http://www.nue-psk.com/doc/CW%20Mode%20for%20the%20NUE-PSK%20Digital%20Modem.pdf But even there you have to make adjustments for variations in character and word spacing.

Personally I'd hate to see Elecraft devote much attention to optimizing CW decoding, which is a pretty specialized field.

73, Phil w7ox