I was the one who asked what I thought was a simple and logical question about
the receive audio bandpass of the K3. Now after having page after page of
lecturing me and others about the evils of ESSB, I am sorry for asking and
disappointed in many of your responses to my question.

Elecraft offers an ESSB filter. In the manual it tells you how to set the rig
up for ESSB. Both the receive and transmit EQs have frequencies all along the
4K range. So I was kind of shocked to hear that in many of your minds, ESSB is
a dirty word and that you would go out of your way to attack someone who asks a
question about the ESSB capabilities like me.

There were 4 gentlemen who looked up my email address and sent me advice and
helpful hints but commented that what I am looking for is not currently
possible on the K3. They also advised me to disregard the blowhards who like to
hang out on the reflector and apologized for them.

I am disappointed that the K3 apparently can not match the transmit band pass
in the receiver without attenuation. The newer Yaesu rigs can. All of the Flex
rigs can. The Anon can. The new (kit like) SDR rigs can, and even the new
Kenwood 990 can faithfully match the receive and transmit band pass. It is
embarrassing to me to have them receive my signal, record it and play it back
accurately while I can not do the same for them on my K3.

When I ordered the K3 I spoke to one of the technicians there at Elecraft and
was assured after describing what I wanted to do with the K3 that it could meet
and in fact exceed my audio needs. Apparently he miss understood or miss quoted
the capabilities of the K3 unintentionally.

I will be posting my evaluation of the K3 audio in the appropriate places and
advise those who are interested in quality audio to look someplace else. The
apparent advertised ESSB features are really not there and to not waste your
money and time with the rig if that is your interest.

Go ahead bash me and ESSB some more.

73 OZ

From:
 Larry Martus Wassmann
 Non omnis moriar
 (Not all of me will die) - - - The good I do will live forever.

www.w3oz.com