Ted,

Yes, you should get the BFO range and frequency correct - you can continue
with no extra effort, but it must be resolved eventually, and there is no
time like the present to do it.

Check the values of the capacitors C173 and C174, and while you are at it,
check C169 too.  Additionally, check the varactors D37 and D38 for the
correct type (1SV149 - the smaller ones) qne proper orientation.  Be certain
the BFO crystals were the ones you soldered in - they are typically marked
ECS D4.91 -S

If you find all the above correct, you may have to pad Capacitors C173 and
174.  Should that become necessary, use 47 pf in parallel with C174 and 120
pf in parallel with C173.  The padder capacitors will lower the low
frequency end more than the high frequency end of the range, so it should
work for you - but do the padding only if there is nothing else wrong with
the components.

73,
Don W3FPR