I insist on progressive lenses with a wide viewing angle. I tried bifocals once and they drive me crazy. With good progressive lenses, distance to the monitor is no problem nor is reading or working as close as 6 inches. I can lay a newspaper flat on the table in front of me and read it from top to bottom without excessive head movement - try that with bifocals! For me, the wide angle is important - the regular progressives produce 'tunnel vision'

73,
Don W3FPR