I would suspect that there is some pin/wire in that KPA/KAT cable which is broken. When used for your purposes between the K3 and the KAT500, it is not used, but is used for the KAT500 to KPA500 connection. It may be wise to replace that cable at some point. I would at least put a tag on it as a reminder that it is "flakey".

73,
Don W3FPR