On 5/2/2014 10:12 AM, Vic Rosenthal K2VCO wrote:

> It appears to me that "no-radial" verticals are also OCF dipoles,
> vertically oriented. In my new QTH I will be limited to a vertical, and
> I chose a Cushcraft (well, MFJ now) R8. It has a built-in 'balun' --
> that is, a choke -- but I am taking no chances and have prepared another
> choke that I will mount immediately under the antenna to ensure that it
> will be decoupled from the feedline.

For a number of years I used an R8 with my K2/100 - no chokes, just a
ground wire to the antenna mast and at the entry protector for safety
even though this area does not have lightning to any degree - and was
very pleased with it.

Right now I'm in an apartment and can't put up any reasonable HF
antennas, so using 30 ft coax-fed OCF "special" sold as an emergency
antenna by the Honolulu Emergency Amateur Radio Club (I have no
financial interest in the club or the product other than satisfaction).
 It's tuned by the KAT/100 and rated for 40m and down, but it will also
tune to 60m.  80/75m is something else, same as the R8. See:  www.earchi.com
--  --

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane
Elecraft K2/100   s/n 5402