Vic
Here's an idea that I haven't seen anyone else use, but it might just do the
trick for you.

Lower your vertical and connect a 33 ft piece of good wire at the top.  Put
a good
egg insulator at the free end of the wire and attach a long nylon string.
When you want to work 80m, draw the wire away from the vertical until it is
as
horizontal as possible.  When you want to work 40 or 30m, lower the wire so
it
is right up against the vertical.  This will cancel the effect of the wire,
making it as if it wasn't there.  As a belt and suspenders approach, you
could
even put an alligator clip at the end of the wire and clip it to the bottom
of the
vertical when the wire is down.

You will have to improve the radial system for 80m.  At least get some
radials
that are full size for 40m.  These don't have to be run straight, either.

Remember the function of the radials, to collect the current radiated by the
vertical and return it to the feed point.  Resonant lengths collect more
current
because they are longer and intercept more current.

A second function of the radial system is to mask the lossy ground below the
radial system, thus giving the return current the lowest loss return path
possible.  You can do a lot to improve your setup, just by working on the
radial system.  You will not be adding gain, but you will be reducing
losses,
which will have the same effect on your signal.

Hope this gives you some ideas, Vic.

Good luck and 73
Bob N6WG
The Little Station with Attitude