Good luck with it!  Despite others' comments about the KX3's
ruggedness, it's pretty robust.  I've had mine off road a dozen times,
mostly in a jeep mounted to the dash 1" RAM ball.  Seems like all
jeeps have those.  Had it out twice on a mountain bike, but there are
too many situations where vehicle control (lack of it) is a big issue.
I don't do that any more.

Be careful about cooling your KX3 with all five sides enclosed like
it's shown at the NP web site.  The KX3 likes a lot of exposure to
ambient air to stay in its happy temp range.  The KX3 will protect
itself from over-temperature, but you might not like the results all
that much.

You might want to call NP's sales/marketing guys in Seattle.  I used
to work with them all the time on GPS mounts and related accessories.
They may have some ideas for you to try.  They're really innovative
folks there.

73,
matt W6NIA

On Sun, 4 May 2014 13:37:24 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

>Thanks for your reply, Matt.
>
>I have looked at all those resources, they are very good.
>
>My plan for an off-the-shelf solution would be:
>
>http://www.rammount.com/Products/AQUABOX/LargeAQUABOX/tabid/4887/Default.aspx
>
>and then mount on the handlebar in the center. The space around the box that
>is not take up by the radio could be filled with some small standoffs to
>reduce vibration but not kill circulation.
>
>Should the weather turn, closing up the box and turning off the unit to
>prevent overheating would be the likely course of action.
Matt Zilmer, W6NIA
--
"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will
spend the first four sharpening the axe." -A. Lincoln