Gary,

I used my XG3 for doing the temperature compensation procedure and continuously monitored its frequency with my EIP538 counter (has TCXO reference). I ran the XG3 from external 13.5v to ensure constant level and had it running 30-minutes in advance to ensure it was stabilized. I noted only about +/- 1 to 2 Hz variation in the signal during the whole procedure. My attempts to use the 5th overtone of my 10-MHz OCXO was unsuccessful due to the harmonic level not being high enough. I didn't try "banging" a diode to produce higher level harmonics.

I am fairly satisfied the XG3 was adequately good enough for doing the procedure. I suspect your A/C is causing a cold draft producing the drift you are seeing. Try enclosing in inside an insulated box. We have no A/C here in Alaska. If it gets warm enough we open what are called windows! But I used to live in SoCal so understand the need down there!

73, Ed - KL7UW

------snip
My lab is in my photographic darkroom which has an ambient temperature
of about 68 degrees F and the AC does blow across the work area.

Thanks,

Gary Marklund
KJ7RT
Sun City, AZ