I have a MFJ 1622 and am on a 2nd floor apartment. It actually works quite well clamped to my balcony railing, as long as the counterpoise is run out correctly. That's actually the biggest problem with my area. It's a bit hard to hide the counterpoise since it has to go down to the ground first and vegetation around here is sparse. I've tried it in vertical position inside my balcony, and while I was still able to make some contacts on HT65, it was better with it clamped to the railing and sticking out.

The MFJ might be a bit big to pass off as a flag pole though. The coil portion is about as big around as a soda can and with the whip extended the total length is around 70" long.

I've heard good things about the MFJ Super Hi-Q loop antennas.. they can be mounted vertically inside the balcony area. They are bit pricey compared to the 1622 though.

73's, Dave
N9PBJ