Hi all!
After seeing all the potential issues with various USB-to-SERIAL converters i
decided to go a different route:
picked up this Gearmo 4-port dongle on Amazon for $48.
It uses an FTDI chipset and a single USB port gives me 4 DB9 RS232 ports.
It also seems to keep the COM port numbering constant.
Oh, and i'm using it on my MacBook Pro, running Windows 7 (32bit) in Parallels.
Works famously so far (been a few months now).
Hooked it up via the LP-Bridge program, and now i can turn the radio off (K3)
without HRD crashing.
I'm only using 2 COM ports right now: one for the LP-Bridge/K3 and another for
this ERC rotor ad--on card that i just assembled last weekend.
Brought my ancient CDE HAM IV control box into the 21st century.

Anyways, this Gearmo dongle seems like a really good alternative for Macs and
PCs that don't have native RS232 ports.
Here's a link to where i got mine from:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ETDC8K/ref=oh_details_o04_s01_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Seems like the price had changed, too. Its now $44.59 with Amazon Prime. Nice!
Slava (Sal) B, W2RMS
w2...@arrl.net