NO !

Start with the long characters FIRST. We (at Microlog) developed an automatic Morse Trainer for ( an unnamed guvmint agency ) where we simply automated their technique. The first four characters they taught, if my memory is correct, were L, P, Q & C. The last ones to learn on the list were E, I, T, & M

The logic is such that when first learning the code, if you hear a figure 1, you will change your mind four times.....is it E, A, W, J, or finally the figure 1.

This method teaches you to learn the sound of each character rather than what it looks like printed as dots & dashes.

Proof of the pudding.....my son passed his Novice code test after just two weeks of 20 min per night starting from scratch (NO Morse ability at all to start.).

And yes, the characters were send at 15 WPM rate with enough space to equal 5 WPM. Curiously, when asked to send, he would snap out the letters at around 12 to 15 WPM on a hand key because that's how he heard them.

73, Charlie k3ICH