Joshua,

If you have thoughts of doing the extended calibration, know that is not done at the factory for either kits or factory assembled units. OTOH, if you are contemplating the standard calibration, order the filter at the same time as your KX3 and the two will be calibrated together for you.

If you want (need) the extended calibration (and temperature compensation), that is something you would have to do yourself, so that negates the advantage of ordering the two at the same time. Evaluate that against the 'girl-friend expense exposure' to arrive at a final decision.

The KX3 will operate just fine in casual operating conditions without the filter, but if you get into contest or DXing in crowded adjacent signal band conditions, you will want the filter.

73,
Don W3FPR