I used several Weller solder stations thru the years. I just retired to the garage, a model WCC for which I can no longer find tips. I had one tip about 1/4 to 3/8 inch wide chisel point that was great for very heavy soldering of large metal objects (actually too much for a PL-259). Lost it last fall outside. But I finally just tired out of trying to keep a tin on the old point that I used for sm soldering (typ 0805 and 1206 size). My dog and my wife were tired of my rant against the old POS.

So I sent my $300 to a Amazon.com vendor and bought a brand new Hakko FX-951, with three tips: T15-ILS conical (for I know not what), T115-D12 (for most sm work), and T15DL52 with 1/4-inch chisel for heavy-duty (incl PL-259's).

I have built two pc boards in the two weeks I have had the new solder station and it is amazing. Both boards are major projects with over 100 components. I dial in the temperature exactly to what I want and the unit maintains that while soldering; not just a rheostat but a full feedback temp control.

Even soldering some filter cans to the ground plane of the pcb was done well with the D12; previous use of the WCC was total muck-up cold soldering which required using the 3/8-inch tip to get good flow.

I like the wire tip cleaner vs using a wet sponge. It keeps tip bright and ready. I do a quick plunge-swipe before each sm component is soldered. I've found with a little experimentation that 670F works well for sm with 60/40 solder. The T15-DL52 seems very hot at this temp, making quick work of heavier items.

But if you are not a person that uses a solder iron a lot, the Weller probably is a reasonable choice. If You build a lot or for work, then the FX-951 is what you want! I have no desire to go back to Weller.

73, Ed - KL7UW
http://www.kl7uw.com
    "Kits made by KL7UW"
Dubus Mag business: