It is not a good idea to connect pin 8 of the K3’s AUX IO connector to pin 8 of
the KPA500’s AuxBus connector. The two aren’t compatible. While both need to be
pulled low to power on the device, the K3’s pin stays low, while the KPA needs
for its pin to go high since it is in parallel with the front panel power-on
button. They both can be used for power-on, but different logic is needed for
each.

I believe the K3 KPA AUX cable has this pin cut for this very reason. We
recumbent use of the serial power-on ‘P’ command for remote operation.

Jack B, W6FB
Elecraft Engineering