On 7/6/2014 6:35 PM, David Christ wrote:
According to BBC devices that cannot be powered up may not be allowed
on board US bound aircraft.

US news tonight said "cell phones," but who knows, news anchors and the guys on the street often can't tell the difference between a phone and an HT.

We're traveling a bit this month, I'm not taking any of my Elecraft radios. Real reason is that I won't have time to use any, but I already get severely hassled by TSA with the leg braces I use and the scrap metal I carry, and I really don't want to be explaining amateur radio to some trainee. And, I always get the trainee. :-)))

I was curious tonight, why would being able to turn your phone on [probably already is on], indicate that there wasn't a bomb inside? To this point, I've never had a TSA question about any radio gear ... usually K2 or KX1, and an HT. The HT went through the x-ray twice, the K2 was blocking it the first time.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2014 Cal QSO Party 4-5 Oct 2014
- www.cqp.org