P-T,

If you follow the instructions frequently given on this reflector, you will have proper power control and no flat-topping. For soundcard Data modes, monitor the audio input level on the ALC meter. You should have 4 bars illuminated with the 5th bar flickering. The first bars of the ALC meter do not actually indicate ALC - the onset of ALC is at the 5th bar, so the lower bars are used like a "VU-meter" to aid in adjusting the audio drive level.\

The closed loop method of power control used by the K3 requires that you fully drive the audio and use the power knob to set the desired power output. Attempting to control the power with the audio drive will result in "power hunting".

73,
Don W3FPR