Len,

If you can hear sidetone, the audio amplifier is working, that means you can start with the Product detector and/or the muting transistors. Check the voltage on the gate of Q2 and Q3 - if it is zero (or very low), then check U1 pin 6 (the /MUTE signal) - If that pin is also low, you may have a bad output from the firmware IC - best check is to substitute another firmware IC.

If the /MUTE line is OK, then try tapping on pin 1 of U5 - do you hear any clicks in the headphone? If so, the product detector is working. If you have something to measure RF voltage, measure the RF voltage at U5 pin 6 - you should have at least 200 mV peak to peak or 40 mV rms (as read by an RF Probe).

The next place to check is U6 pin 4 - the output of the Rcv Mixer. If you have nothing there, the only components between there and the product detector input is Q8 and the Xtal IF filter.

All OK so far, tap on U6 pin 1 (input to the RX Mixer). If you have noise there, all but the front end if the RX is OK. You can check the RF voltage level at pin 6 - like U5 pin 6, you should have at least 40 mV rms or 200 mV peak to peak.

Still all well to that point - there is a possibility that Q7 is either shorted or conducting during receive. Check the DC voltage on the base - it should be zero volts. If you suspect Q7, it can be removed for receive (but not transmit). If taking it out of the circuit restores receive, replace it.

Good luck,
73,
Don W3FPR