The AF Gain dial can also be used like a balance control. When you say they are both set the same, what is probably happening is you have the balance control over to the one side. Look in the Tech Menu for a setting called SUB AF. The choices are nor and balance.

If you are in balance mode and you want them to be the same you have to set the Sub AF Gain knob to the middle.

Buck
k4ia
K3# 101  KX3 #715