Oh well, all good things eventually end. Kit building in the conventional sense is probably a declining interest anyway. Having built both thru-hole and SMT radios (ATS-3B), probably enjoy building about as much as operating.

Am thankful to have built a K1-4 (40/30/20/15) several years ago, also two-band boards for 80/17 and 12/10. People who like to build ought to get a K1-2, K2, or KX1 before they all disappear due to parts availability issues.

Have never owned a KX1, but for me the K1 is pretty much the ultimate QRP radio. 90% of my operation is on 20M, remainder mostly 40M, with solar cycle 15M has been fun too but in another two years that will be over. 30M has been used maybe twice. A 2-band radio would certainly fill my needs. Changing band modules is a special pain for me because installed the onboard tuner (which is rarely used) into my K1 . The extra boards have spent most of their lives in the desk drawer.

I would think a K1-2 for 40 (or 30) and 20 would still be a very good choice for anyone wanting a good performing full-featured QRP radio for home and/or portable.

Curt KB5JO