Mark,

PTT Err will be present if the K3 detects a closure on the PTT in, the key, paddles, or microphone as well as from the RS-232 lines.

Are you using the Keying cable from the K3 to KPA500 in addition to the K3 to KPA500 ACC cable? If so, you must either use one or the other OR insert the keying interrupt device. Make sure any external PA keying cable is connected to KEYOUT and not to the PTT jack next to it.

Disconnect the mic, key, paddles, PTT in (and KEYOUT) and the ACC cable to see if the K3 powers up in receive. Then start plugging the cables one at a time, checking with each one (start with the ACC cable). When it starts to go into TX, you have found the errant cable - likely a cable configuration problem, but you will then know where to look further.

73,
Don W3FPR