I had the opportunity last week to run some pretty heavy RTTY operation on my
KPA500 during the W1AW/2 operation. Generally I used my tube amp but I
wanted to see how the KPA500 would perform. Normally I run 600 watts out of
the KPA500 but for this operation I cranked it down to 500 watts. We're
talking continuous CQs and contacts over 2 hours of straight through
operation. The KPA500 worked flawlessly.

Having said that it is important to mention something about temperature and
fan speed. It didn't take long for the temperature to get up to 65C. I
eventually set the idle fan speed at speed 4 which tended to keep it at 65C
or below. For me, speed 4 sounds about the same as the fan on my legal limit
amp. The surprise occurs when the temperature creeps up to 70C. The fan
jumps to speed 5 (or maybe 6) and it is loud. Luckily it only takes 5 to 10
seconds to bring it down from 70C to 65C.

It looks like Elecraft did a fine job controlling temperature for heavy RTTY
operation. I would not hesitate to recommend the KPA500 for RTTY contesting
but I would certainly want to mention that the occassional higher fan speeds
might annoy some operators.

73,
Mike K2MK