Hi Kurt,

I don't have a Microkeyer but I distinctly remember some list traffic some time back warning, "Don't try to update firmware through a Microkeyer." If you look at the block diagram on the Microham web site, the CAT interface comes from the internal CPU in the Microkeyer. Assuming my memory is at least partially still intact, I believe that was the problem, the firmware in the Microkeyer interferes with the K3 handshaking with the K3 Utility during FW loads.

What are your connectors? The K3 is a 2 row female DB9 if I remember right [it's buried back in the non-wireless part of my station and its very dark back there]

You can probably get a USB-RS232 adapter locally cheaper than paying shipping costs. The Elecraft adapter I have uses the Prolific chip set and runs fine. Some say the FTDI chip set is more reliable.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2014 Cal QSO Party 4-5 Oct 2014
- www.cqp.org