I think it's an interesting idea. It seems it should be feasible to
implement in firmware, but maybe non-trivial.

Thinking outside the box; what if you route the mic signal through the
footswitch instead of PTT? Or maybe through a relay that the
footswitch triggers... and keep VOX on all the time.

73,

    ~iain / N6ML