Hello Bill,
try this:
Linux handles serial devices different from windows.
Your usb-serial adaptor probably will be recogniced as  /dev/ttyUSB0,
while your Windows-Software running under wine only can handle COMx.

So you need to tell wine what device it should use for serial communications.

You can do this by linking the linux-device to the windows device.
Open a console and type:

ls /dev/ttyUSB*
You should see a reply like this:

/dev/ttyUSBx

where x is probably 0 (zero).

Now, assuming the x was 0 (zero), type (case-sensitive!) or simply copy and paste:

ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 ~/.wine/dosdevices/com1

If you type correct, this will put a file named com1 in /home/yourusername/.wine/dosdevices

where /.wine is a hidden directory. Check if the file is there by typing

ls ~/.wine/dosdevices

Amongst a number of drive-letters, you should find a file named com1

(This step might or might not be neccessary:
(Then log out and back in. If you don't know how to log out/in, simply (reboot.

Now run your application under wine. Advise it to use com1.

I expect this to work, but if it doesn't , you probably need to set some permissions. I can help.

--

Ohne CW ist es nur CB..

73, Martin DM4iM