Jim I agree with Mark but would like to add one thing. Heat is the enemy of the
battery. As Mark says the heat goes up sharply at end of charge. This is how
the smart charger knows the battery is fully charged. If you attempt another
charge when the battery is hot you may damage the cells. This is why the
charger is programed to protect the batteries. The nominal cell voltage is
1.2vdc so for 8 cells it is 9.6vdc, for 9 cells 10.8vdc, or 12.0vdc for 10
cells. The float voltage is 1.25 so the numbers are 10, 11.25, and 12.5
respective. Do not confuse NiMH with SLA which have a nominal voltage of 12.6
and float of 13.85vdc.
73
Fred, AE6QL