Hello Mark:
Question? What is the SWR of a mile long piece of coax if it is unterminated.
Answer 1:1. That is because a long length coax will act as a matching
transformer. Actually it doesn't have to be too long as you found out. If
reading is not better in the shack something is wrong.

Mark what you are seeing is entirely normal. If you want to measure the antenna
impedance from the shack you should use something like Time Domain
Reflectometer.

73
Fred