A 'ZNR" is a Zinc Oxide non-linear Resistor. It is the mechanical equivalent of a Zener Diode. It is a bidirectional (AC) device that will conduct when a certain level of voltage is applied across it. They don't typically have as sharp a "knee" as a real Zener, but are very effective for what they do. Basically , a voltage surge or transient protector. Hopefully, they worked but are probably blown and should be replaced.

As for the rest of the stuff, I'm sure you'll find some more (inexpensive) things to replace and the system will come back to life.

Good Luck on the repair, Charlie k3ICH

----- Original Message ----- From: "Vic, K2VCO" <k2vco....@gmail.com>
To: "Elecraft Reflector" <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Tuesday, September 09, 2014 1:23 PM
Subject: [Elecraft] Help! Rescue me from stupid error!

I just did one of the dumbest things I've done since I tried to swim across the Susquehanna river with all my clothes on. I survived that, but I need help with something else.

I just turned on a computer plugged into 230v with the switch on the power supply set to 115v. Result: bang, smoke, house breaker (16a) pops.

I took the power supply apart (it is a funny size so I have little confidence I could replace it). I found two obviously bad components: 1) an 8a fuse -- no problem. 2) something marked znr1 on the board, a component wrapped in heatshrink tubing. It was completely destroyed. Next to it is a similar part labeled znr2. I haven't removed it yet -- so I am not sure it is good. It might be the same as the first one and it might be marked under the heatshrink.

There is a bridge rectifier nearby which checks good. All traces look ok. I am hoping there is someone out there who is familiar with these supplies who can suggest what these are (zener diodes? What voltage?) The board is made in such a way that it is difficult to trace the wiring -- but these parts are right near the power input.

--
Vic, K2VCO/4X6GP
Rehovot, Israel

Message delivered to pin...@erols.com