Tedd,

Yes, a low BFO voltage would cause poor receive sensitivity.  I doubt that
pulling the crystals caused the problem, but the new crystals may fix it.
While you are removing things, you may want to arbitrarily replace the NE612
at U6 just in case.

I recently repaired a K2 with a similar problem with one of the K2s I built
last May - I can't say just what the problem was (most likely the crystals),
but this one had failed before and replacing the NE612 appeared to correct
it the first time, but after having a similar failure a second time, I
replaced the crystals, varactors, inductor and the NE612 - I do hope and
trust that it will stay fixed now (no, this was not a solder connection
problem).

73,
Don W3FPR