Friends,
    If you purchased in the USA and hand carry back then your deal was made
in America.   How can you expect that Elecraft would ever cover the costs of
international shipment which varies across the world not to mention customs
handling charges?   If you purchase in the UK or EI from the UK then the
basic price is Pounds Sterling for Dollars or about 70% higher and in EI we
pay a high shipping cost to and from the UK.   You do get service in the UK
but you pay shipping.

     Elecraft could never pick up the tab for international shipment.   When
you purchase overseas you also pay for international shipment.   There are
no free lunches.   We in the EU have very high purchase taxes to pay for
much valued social benefits and perhaps inefficiencies.   We vote in the
governments who impose these taxes and costs so we must pay the piper.   We
should not expect that our costs would be spread across those living in the
USA whose public services are demeaned in Europe.

    John in Hong Kong is right the wise move is to send back the defective
module for repair.   It makes good sense to purchase in kit form and
assemble so that one is better able to remove modules and trouble shoot if
something goes wrong.   This modular approach is a strong point in the
Elecraft approach to design.

    It is painful for all of us when something goes wrong.   Fortunately
this does not seem to happen too often with Elecraft product.    Take a look
at QST and compare prices in your currency to the prices in your country for
the same products made outside the USA.

     I do not wish to step on any toes.    We all struggle at times to keep
finances in order but we do not have one world market with equal costs.
You should see the price difference between automobiles purchased in EI and
in G land.    Sometime G land looks attractive - sometimes.   Well we like
our own boat in EI and sometimes it springs a leak.

                  73 Doug EI2CN