"... probably the up to date inclusions in the Sierra were not available
when the K1 was designed 20 years  or so ago..."

The Sierra predates the K1. The NE602 mixer and MC1350 IF amp was in common
use long before the Sierra was designed and even longer before Elecraft was
formed. Elecraft used MC1350 in K2, but chose to substitute it with all AF
amplification in K1.

When - one day - the K3 and all IcoYaeWoods are irrepairable junk (due to
special technology/chips/firmware), you can always rip apart your dead and
dusty K1 or K2, throw away the microcontroller and the display, put in a
few jumpers on the RF boards, and voila - you have an all analog radio that
you can repair from your component junk box and (then) obsolete fleabay
ICs. In the exact same way as people do 50+ years old tubes today.

" No surprise." Yes, I know. That is why I wonder why the IF amp was
changed for an AF amp.

Roy
RF Tinkerer