Yep - the K2 uses LM380, but the Sierra uses only an LM386 as headphone
amp. My  ill formulated sentence. But it doesn't matter - its all AF dBs.

My point is that the Sierra and the K2 uses an IF amp MC1350 before the
product detector 602 (612, NE, SA ...), and gets a 'proper' AGC. The K2 is
of course a better design since it uses a TUF-1 mixer (w. pre- and post
amp) in stead of the 602 mixer.

But the K1 - a later design then the Sierra and K2 - is imo one step back
and down by not having an IF amp. The main rcvr guts of the K1 looks
something like:

602 MIXER - XFIL - 602 PROD DET - LM386 AF PRE AMP - LM380 AF POWER AMP

There is no IF amplification, and the AGC is based on the very slow CW AF
signal.

Anyway - it is a piece of cake to mod the K1. Quite a few of the other QRP
rigs (in addition to the Sierra) from the period are 602-1350-602. I just
wanted to know why they chose the all AF way. I guess someone has asked
before - but the answer is imo not all clear.

http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/RE-Re-K1-AGC-time-constant-and-how-to-radically-improveK1-AGC-td388515.html

Roy
RF Tinkerer