Hi Robert,I can't seem to find any other messages in the reflector about this
topic. But in any case I have owned both a Cushcraft R6000, and a HyGain
AV620.I used both for at least 6 months before moving to a cushcraft ma5b mini
beam.
Both antennas seemed to offer similar performance. In this regard, I would give
the edge to the hy-gain. Both were excellent for dx, I made many qrp qso's from
Montreal to australia.
The cushcraft had one annoying feature: The minute it rained or snowed, the
resonance went far off where it was when dry. 200khz on 20m for example. The
elecraft tuner took care of it but it was annoying.
The hygain has a lot of threaded rods which need to be adjust to reach
resonance. These rods are prone to seizing the nuts on them. But once they re
set the antenna never shifted in resonance.
The hygain brought me up to 200+ DXCC's. But I can tell you this: Both are no
substitute for the MA5B.
Both are extremely noisy. The MA5B gives two 2 S unit improvement as a minimum
in almost all cases, but the noise floor dropped 15dB.
Anyways, they both are good antennas, but I would suppliment them with an
active antenna and a noise phaser to null out the noise sources, which improves
them considerably.
Hope this helps.
Tom
va2fsq.com