Hi Ralf,

Lyle explained how the dBV value is derived.  It's a pretty useful
measurement.

One way to use it is to disable AGC, then measure different signal
levels.  This makes dBV a linear measurement, up until the signal
level causes hardware AGC to activate.

Be cautious with your hearing when AGC is disabled.

73,
matt
W6NIA

On Mon, 20 Oct 2014 01:45:24 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have been playing around with the "dBV-Feature" of my KX3 for some time. I
>understood how to use it and that it measures a relative input level into
>the AF stage of the KX3, but my question is if there is any kind of "data
>processing" involved, in other words: the display is updated roughly once in
>a second, and my question is if is the input level to the AF stage just
>being sampled once a second, is the value being displayed something like the
>peak level that occured during this one second interval between two updates
>of the value or is something like the average of the signal level during
>this second being displayed?
>
>We have been discussing the "system advantage" of CW compared to SSB in the
>german QRP facebook group, I tried to measure my personal ability to copy
>weak SSB and CW signals by using this dBV display, but am not sure, if I can
>compare the values directly, since I do not know how the data is being
>generated and processed. Maybe someone on the list or at Elecraft can help
>me out.
>

>Vy 73
>
>Ralf, DL6OAP
Matt Zilmer, W6NIA
--
"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will
spend the first four sharpening the axe." -A. Lincoln