Don,

Thank you for your very informative and helpful post - this clears up quite
a bit of how the ACC2 interfacing is taken care of.

I contacted Elecraft support and was given my original settings (I had
neglected to save) and restored the unit to "factory fresh" status - with
the exception of having the latest up-to-date-firmware.

What is interesting about out this is that I have "possibly" discovered a
bug not many will run into.

When I restored my unit to original factory settings - I am able to move/set
the ACC2 to different "states" in the firmware/menu with no issues
whatsoever - irregardless of what frequency VFO1 is set to.  So I can set
ACC2 menu options for all options and the unit functions normally -
irregardless of in-band or out-of-amateur band VFO1 settings.
Just like in the KX3 manual I can try setting the ACC2 menu options for OFF
(output, 0 V), ON (output, 3 V), LO=PTT (input; apply 0 V or ground to
activate PTT), HI=PTT (input; apply 3 to 5 V to activate PTT), LO=Inh
(input; 0 V inhibits transmit), HI=Inh (input; 3 to 5 V inhibits transmit),
TRN CTRL - and everything works just fine and dandy.

It's AFTER I run the KX3 Extended VFO Temperature Compensation Procedure
that things get interesting.
If VFOA is tuned to any of the Amateur bands (in band) I have full access to
the ACC2 menu options.
If I try any of the ACC2 options while the KX3 is tuned outside the amateur
bands (Specifically the XG50 49.380 frequency for instance) the moment that
I use VFOA to try and select any of the ACC2 menu options this sequence
happens:  I select Menu -> ACC2 (via VFOB )-> OFF to ON (VFOA - OK) -> ON to
LO=PTT (VFOA - unit hangs - no buttons or knobs operate and unit won't power
down unless power is removed)

The might not affect many people that try changing ACC2 settings in the
amateur bands, but this outside of band behavior with the total lockup of my
unit is a bit of a pain.  Not that I'm going to be mucking with ACC2
settings that often!

- David