As far as I can see from the manual, the KPA100 T-R
switch is bypassed in QRP mode.  As the intermods
occur in both QRP and high power modes the KPA100 T-R
switch can not be the only culprit. With more careful
observations I see that there are fairly small changes
in the S-meter readings on the intermod products (on
the order of one S-unit) when I switch between QRP and
high-power modes, so the high power T-R circuitry may
not be completely off the hook either.

As a matter of interest, I measured the composite
input voltage from the antenna with an oscilloscope
today; it is around 1.5 volts peak-to-peak.  Not an
insignificant signal environment to deal with !

73,
Steve VE3SMA