You are correct.
It's been around longer than USB on laptops and you could get PCMCIA cards for just about everything. Ethernet, 56K modems, serial port, "Air Cards" (cell phones for your laptop), etc.... With that said I don't use laptops. They're slow compared to a desktop, they're comparatively expensive compared to desktops, they're fragile and almost impossible for average computer user to repair.

I use desktops and I build my own. The ultimate "no solder kit".
Each one of mine has three RS-232 ports. One is a dongle from the RS-232 header on the motherboard. The mobo manufacturers haven't abandoned RS-232...they just don't supply the 9 pin port anymore. Each one of mine has an PCI-1X expansion card with two ports. Four port cards are available.

I don't have to dork around with adapters and try to keep track of who has counterfeit chips and who doesn't and which version of the drivers work with which version of the chips. One very good reason for Elecraft to not just walk away but RUN away from including USB ports on their products.

I do have one USB adapter.... for programming my Chinese handhelds with CHIRP. I paid more for an FTDI chip set.