Tim,

You can use many headsets and microphones with the KX3 - *IF* you are willing to build an adapter. I have my homebrew adapter for the CM500 headset that works just fine, but if you are not able/willing to build your own adapter, order the Elecraft MH3 microphone - it works just fine.

Computer type microphones and headsets can be made to work, but because the tip and ring are connected together, there is some special considerations to be had when choosing the bias - they work OK with bias turned off, but then will be using the source for digital voltage in the K3 to bias the microphone which can cause noise in the signal. While it will work, a proper adapter will provide better quality results. That is why I built the adapter for my CM500.

73,
Don W3FPR